Zumba for Seniors
The advantages of exercise throughout life are often touted. But before talking about Zumba, it must be analyzed whether Zumba or any other forms of fitness workouts are safe for seniors older than 65 years? The answer is simply YES! Gerontologists from American Academy of Family Physicians suggest that almost all older people can get numerous benefits from additional physical activity.
Regular exercise protects from:
- Chronic diseases
- Improves mood
- Lowers chances of injury
With age, the body does take a little longer to repair itself, but moderate physical activity is good for people of all ages and of all ability levels. In fact, the benefits of your elderly parents exercising regularly far outweigh the risks. Even elderly people with chronic illnesses can exercise safely. Many medical conditions are improved with exercise, including Alzheimer's and dementia, heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, high blood pressure and obesity.
With the passage of age, the body takes longer than usual to repair itself, but moderate exercises are always beneficial for people irrespective of their age and their ability levels. Indeed, it benefits if done regularly and fades any chances of getting age-related diseases.
Why Zumba is Better for Elders?
There is a specific Zumba program designed for beginners and senior citizens i.e. Zumba Gold.
It’s a fun-filled exercise class that combines dance steps and movements with upbeat Latin music.
Morever, It’s a great way for older adults to stay fit and active. Zumba provides a full body workout to the rhythm of Latin American music. The dance steps are easy for seniors to learn - and the best thing is, there is no need of a dancing partner!
People who’re 55 years old or more and love to dance to Latin music, they’ll definitely enjoy Zumba Gold classes because they focus on their abilities, not the physical limitations.
Active older adults want good-fellowship, excitement and fitness as a regular part of their weekly schedule, and the Zumba Gold class is the perfect fit. It’s a dance-fitness class that feels friendly, and most of all, fun.
Zumba Gold does not follows the regular aerobic style of 32 beats per movement, instead it follows the penetration of the upbeat music. Instructors are encouraged to choreograph the workouts within those specifications.
Benefits of an Exercise Program
Regular exercise has many benefits for almost all older people, states the American Academy of Family Physicians. Besides, it has numerous other advantages such as:
- It helps to improve mental condition, lowers chances for injury and shields the body from unceasing disease.
- Medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, heart disease, colon cancer, obesity, and high blood pressure can be improved with exercise.
- As for choosing any exercise program, seniors should consult with their physicians before beginning Zumba Gold, to be assured that if it is right for them. It is generally a low-impact and total-body workout.
- Dance experience is not required, and chair-based options are too available if needed.
- Seniors can sign up for a weekly class, or work it into the rotation with other favorite, low-impact exercise options such as swimming and walking.
And as we all know – no matter what age of we are - exercise that is fun, enjoyable and shared with friends, is bound to be repeated.