Yoga For Scoliosis
What Is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a disorder which causes an abnormal curve in the spine or the backbone. This condition is twice more common in girls than boys. Usually people of age more than 10 years suffer from this disorder. There are three different types of scoliosis; Kyphosis is a curve which is visible from the side and the spine is bent forwards while Lordosis is also visible from the side but the spine is bent backwards. The causes of Scoliosis are still unknown. There are times when Scoliosis can worsen, in this case most doctors would suggest getting a surgery which involves inserting rods that would help to keep the spine straight
Yoga and Scoliosis
It has been noticed that practicing yoga can reduce the amount of pain that an individual experiences due to this disorder. But all yoga poses are not supposed to be practiced, because some might help reduce the pain while others can worsen the pain.
Five Major Areas to Focus On
- Feet and Legs: While doing a pose it is important to make sure you put equal amount of weight on the feet. Stronger legs can help build a foundation which means that the spine can stretch easily. It also enables the legs to carry the weight of the body; this means lesser pressure on the spine.
- Spine: In order to reduce the S curve of the spine, you should focus on lengthening the spine.
- Psoas: There are two muscles in the thighs which need to be focused on. These two muscles are the flexors of the thighs and keeping the muscle well tone can help free the spine and align the lower limbs.
- Scapula: In order to increase the flexibility of the muscles around the shoulder blade, you should drop the shoulder blades and draw them forwards.
- Abdominal Muscles: These muscles are very important if you suffer from Scoliosis. Strong abdominal muscles ensure that you don’t overwork and tighten the back muscles.
Yoga for Scoliosis: Poses You Should Practice
There are certain basic poses that you should practice which will help reduce the pain caused by scoliosis.
- Right Angled Wall Stretch
- Pelvic Tilts Pose
- Extended Puppy Pose
- Hamstring Stretch
Yoga for Scoliosis: Poses You Should Avoid
There are certain Yoga poses which can lead to worsening of the disorder and lead to serious pain.
- Cobra - Bhujangasana or Naga-asana
- Bow pose – Dhanurasana
- Wheel - Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana
- Locust - Salabhasana
- Scorpion – Vrischikasana
- Camel – Ustrasana
The link between Yoga and Scoliosis is clear, there are poses that help to reduce the amount of pain that is caused by the disorder. However, certain poses can actually worsen the condition. It is important to understand the fact that Yoga for Scoliosis can only help reduce the amount of pain caused by the disorder; it is not a treatment for this disorder. Treatment for this disorder is only possible through medical surgeries. The surgery differs according to the severity of the disorder. Generally the surgery involves straightening the spine back to normal shape, if it is possible.