What Is 'Mantra' Yoga?
Mantra yoga is a meditation whereby a word/ phrase is continuously chanted to awaken ones true emotions and be experienced by the mediator. The most popular mantric sound is ‘Om’.
It’s a fact - our minds tend to wander in ten different directions – however, the music of mantras can bring the mind back to a particular point. The amalgamation of rhythm and meaning of the mantra can direct the mind back to meditation, therefore achieving higher spiritual focus and awareness.
Health Benefits Of Mantra Yoga
It may help lower blood pressure.
- It stabilizes levels of adrenaline, brain-wave patterns and heart-beat rates.
- Cleanses the nervous system. Has shown to alleviate drug, alcohol, and tobacco problems.
- Helps one achieve a deeper understanding of self.
- Helps one achieve a deeper understanding of others around you.
- One attains self-fulfillment and happiness.
- Enhanced memory and improved concentration levels.
Methods of Chanting Yoga Mantra
There are different methods of Mantric Chanting, all of which help result in different benefits experienced. These include;
Chanting aloud is known as "Baikhari" Chanting. The advantages include;
- It eliminates distracting thoughts from one’s mind.
- It allows clear thinking.
This chanting involves reciting in a whisper, or by murmuring, whereby only the meditator can hear what is being chanted. The advantages of Upanshu include;
- One can spend much time with this method of chanting – up to 8 to 10 hours.
- It is widely held that fate errors may be fixed by this mode of chanting.
Manasik is considered to be the most difficult method of chanting. This practice requires a great deal of practice and experience to be executed. This method is devoid of chanting – instead chats are repeated in the mind only. The advantages include;
- Improved concentration
- Clarity and peace of mind