Upward Abdominal Lock - Uddiyana Bandha
About Upward Abdominal Lock
The upward abdominal lock pose is categorized as a bandha asana. If you are on the lookout for abdominal yoga exercises with a host of health benefits for your abdominal area and digestive functioning, then the upward abdominal lock pose is the perfect one for you! Before starting any exercise it is always best to perform a few warm up exercises to prepare the muscles for the exercise that is to follow. In this way, the chances of injuring or straining the muscles are greatly reduced. A few warm up preparatory poses that you can perform before the upward abdominal lock pose sequence include the adho mukha svanasana, dandasana, sirsasana, baddha konasana and virasana.
Step By Step Instructions
Follow these simple guidelines to perform the upward abdominal lock pose sequence!
- Position yourself on the yoga mat with your feet placed about a foot apart.
- Tilt yourself forward from your waist just a little bit, bend your knees and place your hands on the knees or thighs.
- Take a deep breath and push your stomach forwards.
- Then exhale until your lungs are empty.
- Contract your abdominal muscles until your navel is pulled back and upwards towards the middle back.
- Maintain step 5 until you feel the need to inhale again. Repeat the upward abdominal lock sequence at least 5 to 10 times.
By performing the upward abdominal lock regularly you can obtain the following health benefits!
- Acts as a stimulant for the blood flow to the abdomen and the brain.
- Acts as a stimulant for the energy in the lower stomach (apana vayu) and elevates this energy to unite it with the navel (savana vayu) and heart (prana vayu) energies.
- Enhances the digestive functioning of the body and removes toxins from the digestive tract.
- An excellent strengthening posture for the diaphragm and abdominal muscles.
- Massages the heart and lungs.
- Massages the solar plexus and abdominal viscera.
Things to Remember!
Individuals suffering from high blood pressure, glaucoma, hernias, heart disease, intestinal ulcers or intestinal ulcers should refrain from attempting the upward abdominal lock pose. Women who are pregnant or those who are on their menstrual cycle should refrain from performing the upward abdominal lock posture.