Triangle Pose - Trikinasana
About the Triangle Pose
With this master pose you will be able to achieve three powerful physical principles: stability, evenness and expansion. As a beginner, and as someone who might not indulge in too much exercise, you might find this pose frustrating. It might serve as a constant reminder of how your stamina and fitness level could do with a bit of improvement.
However, instead of deterring you from practicing yoga, the triangle pose will soon serve as your source of motivation! Who doesn’t want a firm, elongated torso, powerful legs, strong arms and a steady sense of balance to match? The triangle pose is a neat little posture that interacts with your whole body, and sets you on the path of a harmonious connection between your mind and physical being.
Step by Step Instructions
This posture is known as Utthita Trikonasana which literally translates into ‘extended three angle pose’, and that is exactly the shape that your body will form when you are performing this asana!
- For starters, stand lengthwise on your yoga mat with your legs spread about 4 feet apart. We’ll begin with the right foot so take a step back with your right foot about 3 feet, and turn your foot out so that it faces the top of your mat. Remember to keep your left foot exactly where it is, with your toes pointing forward.
- As you inhale, extend your arms out into a ‘T’ position, with your shoulders relaxed and your palms facing the yoga mat.
- Now bend down sideways, reaching down to your left foot with your left hand. Extend your arms as much as possible and as per your comfort level, reach out to your shin, foot or the yoga mat.
- While your left hand is touching your left foot, keep your right arm extended straight up towards the ceiling, keeping the ‘T’ shape intact.
- Draw your stomach in as you turn your face towards your extended right arm. Hold this position for as long as you possibly can and remember it is essential to keep breathing deeply throughout the entire process!
- Repeat this posture again with your right leg.
Health Benefits of the Triangle Pose
Let’s find out all about the exceptional health benefits of this yoga posture!
- This pose is referred to as one of the master poses for a reason: it targets the lungs and the heart and enhances their functioning.
- Flexing and stretching of the entire body results in increased flexibility and a strong, toned body.
- This pose strengthens and tones the thigh muscles, calf muscles, spinal muscles, hamstrings and it works on your hips too!
- It can alleviate leg pain, and effectively release the stress and tension in your lower back and hips.
Things to Remember!
If you are suffering from a heart condition, practice this pose against a wall and do not extend your arm up towards the ceiling or turn your head towards the ceiling. Keep your arm on your hip instead. For those suffering from high blood pressure and neck pain, do not turn your face up towards your extended top arm, just look straight ahead.