Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose - Salamba Sarvangasana
About Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose
The shoulder stand pose is categorized as an intermediate level inversion asana. This is an excellent pose to add to your regular yoga routine: the shoulder stand yoga pose is fun, but demanding and challenging at the same time! You may find it difficult to perform this asana the first few times, but you can attempt the shoulder stand yoga pose against a wall for added support. With time and regular practice, you will be able to perform the shoulder stand pose without any props or support! However, as a beginner it would be best if you performed the shoulder stand pose under the supervision of a yoga teacher. This asana engages the back, neck, shoulders and legs and is a great strength and endurance builder. When attempting a posture as demanding as the shoulder stand pose, it is always best to warm up the muscles by practicing a few simple yoga postures such as the virasana and halasana.
Step by Step Instructions
These easy-to-follow guidelines will help you perform the shoulder stand yoga pose in the comfort of your home or at the yoga studio!
- Lie on your back on the yoga mat in such a way that your shoulders are placed on the yoga mat but your head is not.
- Stretch your arms and extend them straight out behind you.
- Gradually lift your hips off the yoga mat and in one smooth move, swing your legs upwards so that they are positioned over your head.
- You can deepen the bend by pushing your legs away from your head and lifting your back off the yoga mat. Straighten your raised back by using your hands to support it.
- With your back supported by your hands, you can now focus on straightening your legs. Ensure that your body is well-balanced and stable, and then straighten out one leg at a time.
- Experiencing pain or discomfort in your shoulders and back is an indication of excessive stress and strain. Adjust your posture until you can maintain the shoulder stand pose comfortably for 30 seconds to 1 minute at least.
- Exit the shoulder stand yoga pose by bringing each leg down onto the mat. Follow it up by lowering your back onto the mat.
The challenging shoulder stand pose has numerous health benefits!
- Therapeutic for sinusitis, asthma, insomnia, mild depression and infertility.
- Enhances the digestive functioning of the body.
- Relieves stress, fatigue and menopausal symptoms.
- Tones the legs and buttocks.
- Stretches and strengthens the legs, shoulders, back and neck.
- Allows the mind and body to unwind.
- Stimulates the functioning of the abdominal organs, thyroid gland and prostate gland.
Things To Remember!
Individuals suffering from high blood pressure, diarrhea, headache, back injuries and neck injuries should refrain from attempting the shoulder stand yoga pose. Women who are on their menstrual cycle should also refrain from performing the shoulder stand pose.