Marichyasana III - Marichi’s Pose
About Marichyasana III
The marichyasana iii pose is classified as a beginner level asana. This classic pose focuses on four areas of the body, namely: the hips, lower back, spine and abdomen. The marichyasana iii pose is believed to be therapeutic for a number of health complications including menstraul discomfort, asthma, constipation and other digestive problems, sciatica, fatigue, and lower back pain. Thus, performing the marichyasana iii pose sequence regularly is bound to lead to improved health and well-being. Yoga, like other exercise forms, also requires its practitioners to warm up their muscles before attempting any yoga asana. A few appropriate preparatory poses for the marichyasana iii pose include the following: janu sirsasana, baddha konasana, gomukhasana, virasana, supta padangusthasana, and supta baddha konasana.
Step By Step Instructions
These easy-to-follow instructions will guide you through the marichyasana iii pose sequence!
- Position yourself in the (Staff Pose (Dandasana) on the yoga mat.
- Bend your left knee and shift the left heel backwards, bringing it as close to your bent thigh as possible.
- Place your right hand behind you on the yoga mat.
- Breathe in and as you do so, raise your left arm upwards.
- Exhale and bend your upper body forward towards the inside of the bent left knee. Use your right hand to propel your body into the forward bend as much as possible.
- Drape your left arm around the bent left leg.
- Your right leg should be extended straight out in front of you. Keep the foot flexed and the toes tilted backwards.
- Lift your body out of the forward bend when you inhale.
- Exhale and twist your body to the right side.
- Hold the marichyasana iii pose sequence for 30 seconds to 1 minute at least.
- Exit the marichyasana iii pose and repeat with the other leg.
Take a look at the exceptional benefits that the marichyasana iii pose has to offer!
- Therapeutic for hip pain and mild back pain.
- Acts as a stimulant for the brain.
- Gently massages the abdominal organs including the kidneys and liver.
- Strengthens and stretches the spine and shoulders.
Things to Remember!
Individuals suffering from diarrhea, headache, insomnia, migraine, high blood pressure or low blood pressure should avoid the marichyasana iii pose completely. Individuals suffering from chronic back pain or spinal injuries should only attempt the marichyasana iii pose under the supervison of a qualified yoga teacher.