Lizard Pose Yoga - Utthan Pristhasana
About Yoga Lizard Pose
Are you ready to add an intense hip opening yoga posture to your regular yoga workout routine? If yes, then the yoga lizard pose is the perfect asana for you! The lizard pose yoga sequence works wonders to increase the flexibility and mobility of your hips. Yoga beginners may find the yoga lizard pose intense and demanding, and can perform the modification mentioned in the step by step instructions section. Experienced yoga followers should also perform the lizard pose yoga sequence cautiously, and should maintain the pose for about five deep breaths the first few times. This is because the yoga lizard pose results in muscle soreness some time after the pose has been performed. Thus, it is always wise to gradually ease your body into demanding poses such as the yoga lizard pose! Warm up your muscles by practicing a few lunges and simple stretches before you attempt the lizard pose yoga sequence.
Step By Step Instructions
Spread out your yoga mat in a distraction-free area, and get ready to attempt the lizard pose yoga sequence!
- Position yourself in the Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Shift your right foot forward, and place it towards the outside of your right hand.
- Gradually lower your left knee down to the mat. Yoga beginners can rest their knee on the mat instead of holding it up.
- Inhale and lower your elbows on to the mat. Keep your right shoulder and right knee positioned close to one another.
- Maintain the yoga lizard pose for five deep breaths.
An intermediate level asana such as the yoga lizard pose is bound to have a wonderful set of health benefits. Let’s take a look!
- This pose is a profound hip opener.
- Enhances the flexibility of the hip ligaments.
- Stretches and strengthens the hamstrings, thighs and legs.
- Therapeutic for stress, fatigue and anxiety.
Things to Remember!
Individuals with thigh injuries, leg injuries and lower back problems should only attempt the yoga lizard pose under the supervision of a qualified yoga teacher. Depending upon the severity of your health problem, the yoga teacher can suggest suitable modifications to the lizard pose yoga sequence.