Half Moon Pose - Ardha Chandrasana
About the Half Moon Pose
Yoga focuses on the interplay of opposing forces such as the sun and the moon, which signify the two polar energy sources of the human body. The half moon pose is a standing pose which harnesses the energy of the moon source, strengthening your legs, hips and spine.
All the steps of this pose are designed to make your body’s muscles stretch and flex, ensuring that you get a full body workout. The key to performing this posture successfully is maintaining your body’s sense of balance. It will take time and practice, but with every attempt, you will inch one step closer to achieving that perfect sense of steady balance!
Step by Step Instructions
As is the case with every yoga pose, the half moon pose requires your complete focus and concentration so find a serene spot and get ready to practice this asana!
- Stand on your yoga mat with your legs spread out about 4 feet apart. Start with the right foot, take one step back, about 3 feet, with your right foot so that it points towards the top of the yoga mat. Keep your left foot exactly where it is with your toes pointing straight ahead.
- Extend your arms outwards to form a ‘T’ position. Bring your right arm down and place it on your waist.
- Slowly bend your left knee, shifting your weight onto your left leg as you lift your right foot off the yoga mat and extend your right leg upwards.
- Extend your left hand towards the mat, bringing it all the way down so that your palm touches the yoga mat. Point your face towards the floor, and focus on keeping your left hand directly below your shoulder.
- Try to raise your right leg up to the point where it is parallel to the yoga mat, and straighten your bent left leg.
- Hold the position for at least five breaths or longer.
- To exit the posture, bring your right hand down and place it on your waist as you simultaneously lower your right leg.
- Repeat this posture, but this time around, start the asana with your left leg.
Health Benefits of the Half Moon Pose
Since the half moon pose effectively incorporates your entire body, it is sure to have innumerable health benefits. Let’s take a look!
- This posture is perfect for strengthening and toning your thigh, calf and arm muscles. It also strengthens and elongates your spine.
- The full body stretching enhances your body’s flexibility and mobility.
- It is the perfect posture for expanding your chest and shoulders and releasing the tension from your hips and shoulders!
- The half moon pose is a great stress reliever!
- It enhances your body’s sense of balance and fine tunes your core sense of stability.
- It teaches you how to focus and concentrate on your body, and forge that vital connection between your mind and physical being.
- It is believed to enhance the functioning of the digestive system.
Things to Remember!
As a yoga beginner your body may not be used to such intense stretching and flexing. Use a block to support your hand as you reach down towards the floor. If you find it taxing to straighten your standing leg while extending your other leg upwards, keep your knee bent as this will reduce the pressure on your leg muscles and make it easier for you to perform the pose.
If you suffer from neck pain, do not turn your face towards the yoga mat. Keep your neck relaxed and look straight ahead. For individuals with low blood pressure, it is imperative that you use a block for your hand to ensure that your heart and head are at the same level.