Half Lord of the Fish Pose - Ardha Matsyendrasana
About Half Lord of the Fish Pose
This yoga posture is also known as the seated spinal twist. The pose may seem simple, but performing it regularly will yield innumerable health benefits for your body. Of course, as a beginner you will need constant practice before you can master this pose perfectly. Perseverance and determination play an instrumental role in the art of yoga, so keep practicing and don’t give up!
Step by Step Instructions
Roll out your yoga mat and follow these simple guidelines for the half lord of the fish pose:
- Sit down on the mat; stretch your right leg out in front of you making sure that your pelvis is pressed firmly on the mat.
- Now cross your left leg over your right leg so that your left foot is resting flat on the yoga mat next to the right knee.
- Then bend your right leg so that your heel rests next to your left hip.
- Now pull your left knee towards your chest by wrapping your right hand around it.
- As you exhale twist towards the back with your head facing the back, and place your left hand on the yoga mat next to your left hip.
- Maintain this pose for about a minute. Repeat this pose with the other leg.
Half Lord of the Fish Pose Health Benefits
This spinal twist pose has a plethora of health benefits! Let’s find out all about them.
- Realigns, strengthens and stretches the spine, hips, neck and shoulders.
- Beneficial for the liver, kidneys and digestive system.
- Can alleviate asthma and prove to be therapeutic for infertility.
- Alleviates fatigue, back pain, sciatica and menstrual pain.
- According to tradition, the spinal twist pose can enhance your appetite, and prevent and cure the most fatal diseases.
Things to Remember!
As a beginner, you may find it easier to perform this posture with some extra padding under you for support (such as a blanket). If you suffer from any injuries (especially spinal or back injuries) it is imperative for you to consult your health practitioner before attempting this pose.