What is Zumba?
Zumba Fitness is a Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music, created by Grammy Award-winning producers, and contagious steps to form a “fitness-party” that’s downright addictive. It was created by a dancer and choreographer from Miami, Alberto 'Beto' Perez, together with a couple of entrepreneurs named Alberto Perlman and Alberto Aghion. There are different videos or DVDs of Zumba that can be acquired via the web site and infomercials. DVDs in the millions have successfully been sold in more than 30 countries. Today, there are more than 25,000 official Zumba instructors all around the world. It has been featured in numerous media outlets, newspapers, shows and magazines.
Celebrity fitness trainer, "Beto" Perez, stumbled upon the concept of Latin inspired fitness in his native country of Colombia (South America) in the mid 1990's. One day, he walked into his class and realized that he had forgotten his aerobics music, and his only option was to grab whatever tapes he had in his car. Beto’s tapes were comprised of the songs that he loved, the traditional Latin salsa and merengue music with which he had been raised. But it was a challenge to improvise a whole class on the spot using non-traditional aerobics music. Beto rose to the challenge and from this last-minute improvisation was born a revolutionary fitness program - Zumba! The class soon became the most popular class at his fitness facility.
Types of Zumba
Currently there are five different types of classes offered within the Zumba dance workout.
- Zumba Gold – is a program specifically designed for older individuals or someone who is physically impaired.
- Zumba – the original, this program or class fits just about everyone.
- Zumba Toning – focuses on calorie burning and strength training. Uses weighted sticks, similar to maraca's.
- Aqua Zumba – similar to water aerobics and is for ages 14 and up.
- Zumbatomic – for the younger crowd ages 4 to 12. Uses hip-hop, reggaeton and pop.