Sunflower Seeds in Your Diet
Sunflower seeds come from sunflowers which have petals emanating from the bright yellow seed studded center. It produces black seeds, which are tear drop shaped and they often feature black and white strips. These seeds have high oil content and are one of the main sources of polyunsaturated oil.
Benefits of Sunflower Seeds:
A few benefits of sunflower seeds include;
- Sunflower seeds are rich in magnesium and selenium.
- Sunflower seeds have a great amount of vitamin E which is the body's primary fat-soluble antioxidant. It travels throughout the body neutralizing free radicals.
- Vitamin E has some significant anti-inflammatory effects that help in reducing symptoms of asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, conditions where free radicals and inflammation play a big role.
- Sunflower seeds help in the reduction of cholesterol levels in the blood. This leads to enhancing the immunity response and decreases the risk of certain cancers.
- Consumption of sunflower seeds in your diet can calm our nerves, muscles and blood vessels. This can be done with the help of magnesium levels in the seeds.
- Sunflower seeds can also treat or reduce the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure, and prevent migraine headaches, as well as reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- You get a good amount of dietary fiber by adding sunflower seeds in your diet, which eventually helps to prevent constipation. Besides sunflower seeds gives an extra crunch to your favorite breakfast parfaits.
Sunflower Seeds Nutrition:
Sunflowers seeds are rich in vitamin E. They also contain significant amounts of manganese, magnesium, copper, selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and folate.
A detailed list of nutrients includes:
- vitamin E
- vitamin B1
- vitamin B6
A few quick serving ideas have been mentioned below:
- You can add sunflower seeds to your favorite tuna, chicken or turkey salad recipe.
- You can garnish mixed green salads with sunflower seeds.
- By adding sunflower seeds to scrambled eggs, you can give them a unique taste and texture.
- You can use fine ground sunflower seeds to dust your meats with in place of flour.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds onto hot and cold cereals for some unique taste.