The epidemiological studies reveal that consumption of fruit and vegetables reduces risk of chronic ailments like cancers and cardiovascular conditions. Kohlrabi, also known as German turnip, is a vegetable that hails from Eastern Europe. It is a wild turnips and wild cabbage nutrient rich vegetable. Its size is to that of a bulb, shape like a turnip and has sprouting leaves that are edible.
Rutabagas commonly known as Swedish turnip is from the genus Brassica – vegetables associated to this genes are cabbage and kale to name a few. Rutabagas are a mix of turnips and cabbage, high in potassium and vitamin C.
Here are some nutritional benefits of kohlrabi and rutabagas.
Health Benefits of Kohlrabi Vegetable
- The German turnip is low in cholesterol and contains nutrients like protein, water, dietary fiber, calories, carbohydrates, sugars and fat. Low cholesterol and saturated fat promotes a healthier circulatory system and improved heart rate.
- Stems or better called sprouting leaves of Kohlrabi are rich n vitamin C, E, A, B5, Folate, B6, B1, B3, Choline and K. These vitamins boost your immune system, maintain good hair and healthy skin and also stir up your metabolism. Moreover, it also improves iron absorption process and regenerates supply of vitamin E.
- Kohlrabi is enriched with phytochemicals like isothiocanates, indole-3-carbinol, sulforaphane, these prevent and protect cancers of colon and prostrate.
- German turnip is also rich in minerals such as copper, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium, manganese, selenium and iron.
- Manganese is utilized by the body as a co-factor for antioxidant enzyme.
- Potassium helps control blood pressure and heart rate by countering effects of sodium helping in alleviated condition like diabetes. Potassium enhances nerve transmission and excitability assisting overall nerve function. It also stores up carbohydrates which serve as fuel for the muscles.
- Rich in vitamin A that is good for eyes.
- Rich in fiber content and low in calories which assist in weight loss.
- Glucosinolates are organic compounds derived from glucose and amino acid. Cooking Kohlrabi causes loss of these glucosinolates, an average cooking can maximize the formation of bioactive compounds.
Health Benefits of Rutabaga
- Rutabagas are rich in vitamin C which assists in asthma. Regular intake of Rutabaga also reduces risk of incidental bruising.
- It replenishes milk production that enhances stamina and digestion.
- Normalizes blood pressure lowers risks of heart strokes.
- Extremely helpful in combating constipation.
- Antioxidants reduce risk of cancer and cell damage.
- Eliminates toxins and promotes healthy digestion and metabolism.
- Dietary fiber maintains colon health.
Kohlrabi and Rutabagas are both almost similar in health benefits. They can be used raw in salads, boiled and steamed for better taste and moderately cooked to spice up your flavor. Happy eating!comments powered by Disqus