What are Fish Oil Supplements?
Fish oil is oil that is extracted from fatty fish such as tuna and mackerel. There are two main sources of fish oil; either eating it raw or via fish oil supplements. Fish oil is usually extracted from Tuna, Salmon, Cod liver, Whale, Halibut and Blubber for the production of Fish oil supplements. These supplements often contain many other minerals and vitamins including Calcium, Iron or Vitamin A, B1, C, D, B3 or E. Fish oil has been associated with a wide variety of health benefits; this is why there is an ever-growing demand for fish oil supplements!
Who Requires Fish Oil Supplements?
There are many different people who are advised to consume fish oil supplement due to various reasons. Here is a list of people who require fish oil supplements.
- People at risk of Cardiac disease or those who have high cholesterol levels. Fish oil aids in reducing the level of bad cholesterol present in our body and reduces the risk of cardiac diseases.
- People suffering from Depression can also eat fish oil supplements, since Omega-3 present in fish oil aids in reducing depression.
- American Heart Association also suggested that people recovering from Heart Attack to take fish oil supplements.
- People who are looking for foods that would boost their Immune System can also intake fish oil supplements.
- People suffering from Breast cancer and Prostate cancer may also eat fish oil supplements. Fish oil can prevent and aid in curing these types of cancer.
- Pregnant women may also be advised to consume fish oil supplements to ensure the delivery of a healthy baby.
Fish Oil Supplements Health Benefits
Omega-3 fatty acids play a very important role in promoting a healthy heart. This is because Omega-3 reduces the level of bad cholesterol present in our body, bad cholesterol block the arteries hampering efficient blood flow resulting in cardiac diseases. Hence, fish oil aids in protecting the body from cardiac diseases such as heart attack and stroke. Research has also proved that fish oil aids in reducing the risk of atherosclerosis in coronary patients.
Reduction in Depression and Stress
Another benefit of Omega-3 present in fish oil is that it boosts the properties of antidepressants present in the body. This results in reduction in stress and depression. Consuming fish oil can also reduce the occurrence of other psychological problem such as anxiety.
Scientists have conducted different studies which have revealed that consuming fish oil reduces the risk of prostate and breast cancer. Fish oil is very effective in fighting cancer since it reduces the level of hormones called “Estradiol” present in our body. These hormones are the main cause of breast cancer; hence, consuming fish oil can cure and prevent breast cancer. Concentrated fish oil protects the body against prostate cancer as well, it blocks the conversion of “Arachidonic Acid” which feeds the cancer cells and results in prostate cancer.
Improved Brain Function
Consuming food rich in Omega-3 such as fish oil can also aid in improving brain function. Consuming fish oil can result in improved concentration, memory and ability to complete tasks. Fish oil can be very beneficial for pregnant women and can have positive effects on the unborn baby as well.
Stronger Immune System
Fish oil is good for people who want to strengthen their immune system. According to different studies conducted by scientists, fish oil strengthens the immune system and protects the body from diseases such as cold, flu and cough. Omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil also have beneficial effect on the immune system.
Studies have uncovered that fish oil has anti inflammatory properties. It reduces inflammation in tissues and blood. Consuming fish oil on a regular basis can be beneficial for people suffering from gastrointestinal disorders, short bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. People who are suffering from Crohn’s disease find it difficult to absorb different vitamins and fats; fish oil can be part of staple diet for such people.
Fish oil can have positive effects on the skin as well! Fish oil aids in making the skin glow, it additionally reduces dryness as well. It also helps in treating different skin problems such as skin lesions and rashes. Fish oil is very effective for curing acne too! It is claimed that fish oil can also provide protection from sunburn.
Beneficial for Unborn Baby
Fish oil can be very beneficial for the unborn baby. It is advised that every pregnant woman should consume fish oil. This is because fish oil helps in the development of eyes and brain of the baby. Fish oil also helps in preventing miscarriages and premature birth.
Side Effects of Fish Oil Supplements
Even though fish oil supplements are associated with many different health benefits. There are some health problems that are associated with it too.
- The risk of bleeding increases in a liver patient if he/she consumes fish oil supplements.
- Fish oil may aid in reducing blood pressure levels, but it can also cause blood pressure to drop down by a large amount which may lead to complications.
- People suffering from diabetes should avoid consuming fish oil supplements since it makes it difficult to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Consuming Fish oil supplements can increase some of the symptoms of bipolar disease.
- Some people who suffer from seafood allergy can also be allergic to fish oil. Consuming fish oil supplements can lead to undesirable allergic reactions.
- Some studies suggest that consuming fish oil supplements can cause irregular heartbeats amongst patients on implanted defibrillator.