What are Dietary Supplements
Dietary supplements are minerals, proteins, nutrients, etc, which are needed to improve our diet. They are available in pills, capsules, powder and liquid forms.
Dietary supplements contain the following list of dietary ingredients:
- A vitamin
- A mineral
- A herb or other botanical
- An amino acid
- A concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any of the above
- A substance historically used by man to supplement the diet
Dietary supplements are widely available all around the world in health food stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, on the Internet, and by mail. People commonly consume them for health-related reasons. Common dietary supplements include vitamins and minerals (such as vitamin C or a multivitamin), botanicals (herbs and plant products) and substances that come from a natural source (such as omega-3 fatty acids).
What are dietary supplements? Makers of dietary supplements cannot say that dietary supplements can diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent disease. But they can say that they contribute to health maintenance and well-being of a human.
Dietary Supplement is Required by:
There is a big question that who requires to have best dietary supplements or when will I get to know that I need a dietary supplement, so here are some reasons;
- If you are a vegetarian and have very limited food options then you might have chances to develop deficiencies, so it’s better to start having an appropriate dietary supplement.
- People with very poor eating habits or those who are following a very low calorie diet that is below 1600 calories.
- Pregnant or lactating women, or women who experience very heavy bleeding during menstruation requires, certain dietary supplements that supplies optimum iron.
- Patients after surgery, especially those who are having difficulty in swallowing or digesting food, or having medical conditions like chronic diarrhea, food intolerances, problems with liver, or pancreas.
- Post –menopausal women, particularly they require calcium and vitamin D, as after menopause, women starts losing calcium from bones.
- Kids who do not eat properly, also requires having best dietary supplements to fulfill their nutritional needs.
Make Sure When You Buy Dietary Supplements:
- It is very important to read and understand the labels correctly, check for the recommendations for use, serving size and amount of nutrients.
- Also check for the expiration date, if your supplement doesn’t have the expiry then discard it.
- Make sure you don’t over dose the supplements, especially vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin B6 can be harmful when taken in large amounts.
- Keep all the best dietary supplements stored in a cabinet, away from heat, and also from the children’s reach.
- Some dietary supplements interact with certain drugs, so if you are on some medications, make sure to tell your doctor before starting any dietary supplements.
People have used the active ingredients in dietary supplements for thousands of years to help health and make illnesses better. Sometimes those supplements are the basis for some of today's common medicines. For example, people have used willow bark tea for centuries to control fever. Pharmaceutical companies eventually identified the chemical in willow bark that reduces fever and used that knowledge to produce aspirin.