Is Zumba Good for Cardio and Glutes?
Zumba is a fitness program inspired by Latin dances. It combines aerobics with several Latin dances toallow participants to burn calories and to just be fit, essentially. It was founded by Alberto “Beto” Perez in Columbia. His unique fitness program combines a variety of dances, namely; hip-hop, samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, and some Bollywood and belly dance moves. Furthermore, Martial arts, as well as squats and lunges are also practiced.
Alberto’s fitness program facilitates exercising at both fast and slow places, allowing a resting period for those who engage in intense Zumba after which they can pick up their pace again. This makes long-term participation very easy. Zumba has made a major breakthrough in the world of fitness and has met with much popularity.
In 2009 The "Daily Telegraph" stated that there were over 20,000 Zumba instructors in more than 30 countries.
Zumba and Cardio
Zumba is primarily a cardiovascular exercise. This is because aerobics is one of the main elements of Zumba, making it a good form of Cardio. Your heart rate rises noticeably during one Zumba session. It is claimed on NutriStrategy (a health-related website) that a regular high impact aerobics exercise like Zumba is likely to burn 500 calories of a person who weighs 155 pounds. Here are a few benefits of participating in a cardio like Zumba
- The heart is able to squeeze an increased amount of blood out per contraction
- The hearts productivity increases as it delivers more blood with less effort
- The lungs become more capable at delivering oxygen.
- The heart muscle develops more muscular walls and gains strength
- Muscles and joints gain strength
- Arteries become more elastic hence circulation is improved.
- There will be more capillaries within muscles, again improving circulation.
- Our blood volume increases enabling greater delivery of oxygen to our bodies.
- Reduces the cholesterol in our blood
- Endorphins may be released causing us to feel happier and healthier
- Your metabolism gains efficiency and you end up losing weight more easily.
Zumba and Glutes
Glutes is a fitness term that refers to your rear muscles. Generally, Zumba is more beneficial as a cardio work out than as a workout for your Glutes. It generally gives your entire body a moderate workout as it even includes dancing. The Latin dances practiced in Zumba require you to put your weight on your Glutes. This will make your Glutes stronger and toned but it won’t make your rear bulky.
Zumba is known to be a great form of cardio and will do wonders for your cardiovascular health. As for your Glutes, Zumba does not exactly focus on that region but since it involves dance and aerobics its good for every part of your body to quite an extent.