How to Carry Out a Standard Zumba® Class?
Zumba® is a unique workout. It doesn’t emphasizes on the structure or formation like other monotonous exercises as it conjures a party-like atmosphere by using strong Latin and International beats, elegance and flavor to form an atmosphere that fosters partying instead of counting calories only bringing participants back week in week out!
The best Zumba® session include a warm-up, cardio intervals, cool down and stretch with a lot of energy throughout.
The purpose of a warm-up is to get ready for forthcoming moves. It’s simply the best way to increase body temperature, lubricate joints, pump up blood flow and practice the moves for upcoming segments. The warm-up just finishes in about five minutes and goes well with slower Latin rhythms such as merengue, cumbia or salsa. Example of songs you can use for warm-up session:
- Que Te Mueve – Merengue
- Zumbando Por Un Sueno – Salsa/Reggeaton
- I Like It – Enrique featuring Pitbull
- Bailalo by Kat de Luna
- Boom Boom Pow, Black Eyed Peas
- Llamada De Emergencia, Daddy Yankee
The Zumba® class incorporates three basic components:
- Music: Zumba® music is 70% Latin and with the other 30% you can play your own choice. The music should lead the mode and cadence of the dance. If you need some extravagant and up-to-date music for your Zumba® class, click here.
- Steps: Each Latin rhythm has three or four basic steps that instructor build on with directional moves and arm variations.
- Choreography: Zumba®'s third element is choreography, which should be simple and repetitive for participants to follow.
The best Zumba® workouts include something extra beyond typical choreography. Style and attitude unique to each instructor should be included somewhere in every routine to make Zumba more interesting.
Tip s for Newbie
- Show up 10 minutes earlier for your first zumba class.
- Introduce yourself to the instructor; inform him or her that you’re a beginner to dancing.
- Then, enjoy the party! Don't focus on yourself too much. No need to worry if you’re unable to get all of the steps the first time around; no one actually does. The steps will come easier after a few classes.
Zumba® undergoes some intensity which is governed by the velocity and pulse of the music, which makes Zumba® naturally, a form of interval training.
A study published in "Journal of Applied Physiology" in 2006 concluded that interval training burns more fat than static exercises while increasing fitness levels faster, making Zumba® one of the best ways to get fit while having fun!
According to American Council on Exercise, “Interval training is an organized system of bouts of high-intensity cardio-respiratory training, mixed with periods of lower-intensity active rest.”
Cool Down Session
The cool-down helps to bring the body back to its normal physiological level after fast, vigorous exercise or activity by gradually slowing the pace of activity or by doing gentle exercises or stretches. Also for normalizing back your heart rate with slowly lowering your body temperature to prevent blood pooling, dizziness or nausea caused by a sudden halt to exercise.
Stretching muscles helps you maintain flexibility while preventing cramps and injuries. Good songs for cool-downs are slow rhythms like flamenco or tango. Another option is to reduce movements to half-time with faster rhythms. End with deep breathing and static stretching.
Exemplary tracks you can use for cool down session:
- Te Regalo Amores (bachata/cumbia)
- Caraluna, Zumba Fitness®
- One Day, Matisyahu
- Stand By Me (bachata version)
- OMG, Usher
- La Palomia, Alberto Barro
A perfect Zumba® class reminds you to stop worrying about your fitness level and just have fun. The best routines should be easy to follow, despite the surprises. You should leave feeling like you have had a great workout, but are still ready for more.
Zumba® is one of the highest energy workouts you’ll ever try, and it's the most fun, too. Usually, it doesn't really feel like you're working out at all; you just get caught up in the fun of the music and the moves. As you do it, a whole heart-pumping hour has passed! If you like a good sweat, then you'll love Zumba!
Note: Always check with your doctor before beginning a new exercise program.