Viniyoga – It’s All About Adaptation
What is Viniyoga?
“You can only give what is inside you; this is the first lesson in Viniyoga.” This quotation contains the essence of Viniyoga. We all have a unique purpose in life. Each and every one of us is born with unique capabilities which need to be realized and cherished. Viniyoga aims to help its followers find their true selves so that they can figure out their own place and importance in the scheme of things. Viniyoga literally translates into ‘application’ which emphasizes Viniyoga’s focus on letting each yoga follower decide how yoga should play a role in their life.
Viniyoga stresses on the adaptation of asanas to suit each yoga follower’s health, age and physical requirements. Where most yoga classes follow a routine in which the entire group is required to perform the same asanas, viniyoga thrives on one-to-one interaction between the instructor and the follower. Viniyoga instructors are usually experts in yoga therapy and anatomy, and can thus recommend suitable postures for each student depending upon their health and physical status.
Since this type of yoga is flexible, it can comprise of pranayama, chanting, meditation or various asanas depending on the requirements of the yoga follower. It can be composed of gentle asanas if the yoga follower has health problems or physical injuries. Conversely it can also be physically and mentally challenging if the yoga follower’s fitness level is strong enough for such postures.
Health Benefits of Viniyoga
This adaptable yoga type features numerous health benefits. Let’s find out all about them!
- The personalization of every yoga routine implies that each individual can progress at their own pace and enhance their strength, flexibility and endurance depending upon their fitness level.
- The deep breathing process helps to alleviate and cure numerous respiratory problems.
- Viniyoga asanas enhance organ functioning and fortify and tone the muscles of the body.
- Taking control of their own workout routines instills self-confidence within the followers and develops the intrinsic desire to surpass their own achievements and challenge their bodies further.
- This sense of responsibility coupled with meditation, chanting and personalized asanas help you to take control of your life by enhancing your sense of self, and eradicating stress and self doubt.
- Viniyoga helps you to achieve a core sense of balance and stability, and helps you to understand your body’s strengths and limitations.
Possible Health Concerns – Just To Be On The Safe Side
Be sure to tell your instructor all the details about your health problems or physical limitations so that they can design your yoga routine accordingly.
Background of Viniyoga
This yoga form was taught by Sri T. Krishnamacharya who constructed Viniyoga from the teachings contained in Yoga Sutra of Patanjali. His son, T.K.V. Desikachar continued in his father’s footsteps as a Viniyoga teacher. The whole aim of designing such an adaptable Yoga type was so that yoga could become accessible to everyone, no matter what their age, health or fitness level was like.