What is 'Bhakti' Yoga?
Bhakti Yoga is amongst the 6 main types of Yoga. It involves the total devotion of the Divine, the Supreme - the devotion of God. In literal terms, Bhakti means "devotion", “devotional service", or "pure love." Hence, Bhakti-Yoga is all about practicing how to connect with God. Bhakti Yoga also involves re-connecting with God. All this is achieved by expressing love, kindness and patience, in addition to devotion.
Stages of Bhakti Yoga
The stages of Bhakti Yoga can be classified as follows;
- Meditation - to realize and channel emotional energy.
- Mantras and Kirtans - to open the heart.
- Identification with the source of inspiration and life - God.
- Experiencing transcendental human qualities in daily life.
Health Benefits Of Bhakti Yoga
Bhakti Yoga assures tremendous benefits.
- It brings you closer to God.
- One develops a greater love for God and all other living things.
- It eliminates negative feelings, thoughts and outbursts.
- It instills positive emotions of joy, tranquility and inner peace.
Background Of Bhakti Yoga
Bhakti yoga is considered as an oldest form of yoga with its roots back to India. However, Bhakti yoga did not emerge as a distinct form of yoga until about 500 B.C.