What Is Toenail Fungus?
Toenail fungus can infect one or more of your toenails or fingernails. The first warning sign of a toenail fungus infection is the appearance of a small yellow or white colored spot underneath the tip of the toenail or fingernail. As the infection spreads it can cause nail discoloration, pain, nail thickening and crumbling edges. Not only is nail fungus a potentially painful problem, but for many sufferers it is also a great source of embarrassment. The longer you let the toenail fungus infection grow and spread, the more difficult it will be to treat it. For some individuals, the toenail fungus may reappear even after they have applied one of the remedies for toenail fungus. It is very important to use the right treatments in the right way! The following remedies for toenail fungus, including home remedies for toenail fungus, will help to curb the further development of the infection and will also work towards eliminating it completely.
Remedies for Toenail Fungus
Consult your doctor before opting for anyone of the following treatments to remedy your toenail fungus infection.
- Anti-fungal Pills: Anti-fungal pills are one of the most widely sought after and most successful treatment options. However, they are usually only recommended for those who suffer from a severe case of toenail fungus infection due to their possible harmful side effects. Individuals who do take anti-fungal pills require close monitoring so that potentially dangerous side effects can be detected early on.
- Procedures: Very severe or recurring toenail fungus infections sometimes require surgical or non-surgical procedures to remove the infected nail so as to prevent the fungal infection from spreading further or recurring.
- Topical Medication: Mild and moderate toenail fungus infections can be treated with anti-fungal topical creams, lacquers, lotions and gels. Topical medicines are not as effective as oral medication but they can be used to restrict the development of the infection and prevent the infection from making a comeback.
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
If the treatment options offered by doctors sound too risky or expensive to you, you can try these effective home remedies for toenail fungus infections.
- Soak your feet in a foot bath consisting of 50% vinegar and 50% water for 30 minutes. Prepare a foot bath at least thrice a day.
- Avoid sharing shoes, socks, nail files, and nail clippers with other people.
- Keep your feet dry by applying powder after you shower. The probability of your nails becoming infected if your feet are dry is quite low.
- Wear cotton socks and change them at least twice or thrice a day.
- When you use a public shower or a public wash room always wear your sandals or shower shoes.
- Buy sandals or shoes that are roomy and made of material that allows moisture to escape