Migraine - Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
What Is a Migraine?
Migraine is a common kind of headache that can be extremely painful. During a migraine, one experiences throbbing pain that is usually focused on one side of the head. That is, either the right side or left. This headache occurs on an often basis. Moreover, migraines are followed by feelings of nausea, vomiting, blind spots and sensitivity to light.
Before having a migraine you will experience several warning symptoms that are termed as “Aura”. It is however believed that about only 15% percent of people experience an aura before their actual migraine. An aura is a disorder which occurs in the form of one perceiving a strange light, perception of unformed lights that range from black, white to multicolored, cloudy or blurred vision and/or a perception of zig zag lines.
Apart from Aura, there are other symptoms that include; diarrhea, cold hands and feet, and difficulty in concentrating.
Causes of Migraine
Most of us lead stressful lives that are filled with work, drama and no play - such an unhealthy lifestyle where there is no time to relax can cause abnormal brain activity that leads up to migraines! Here we have outlined the causes and triggers of migraines so you can try avoiding them and enjoying a migraine free life.
Lack of Sleep
A good nights rest is very important for your well being! Lack of sleep due to jetlags, late work nights or late nights with your newborn can all lead to severe headaches!
Some scientists believe that hormonal changes are closely linked to the occurrence of migraines. This explains why women are reported to experience more migraines then men. Menstruation cycle, consumption of birth controls and pregnancies all contribute to the formation of a painful migraine!
Skipping Your Meals
Don’t skip your meals! Whether you are trying to lose weight or got late for work! Try not missing out on any meals, no matter how busy you are, you need to eat along the way - You can’t just starve yourself!
They say that skipping meals is actually what triggers the blinding pain experienced in migraines! This causes unbalanced brain chemicals. We think it is high time to re think those diet plans!
We all have those days when our boss can give us a really bad head ache. How about the day your significant other just can’t stop nagging! Or when nothing is going the right way! Anything that adds stress in your life can instigate migraines!
Interestingly, having the right amount of caffeine actually keeps migraines away! Yes indeed! Too little or too much caffeine can result in migraines.
Treatment of Migraine
- You need to make some changes in your lifestyle. This means going to bed early, or at least making sure you get enough sleep and are well rested.
- Keep yourself well hydrated, drink lots of water.
- Drink Coffee! Coffee can lessen your headache pain, as it restricts the blood vessels however it can even trigger a headache for some people so try not overdoing the caffeine. Keep it balanced! One cup of coffee in the morning should be more than enough!
- Some migraines are also a result of eye sight becoming weak. So get your eyes check by an optician. You’ll probably have to wear glasses!
- Magnesium is helpful for menstrual associated migraines and stress related migraines! Consult your doctor on magnesium supplements. Magnesium is extremely important for several parts of our body including bones, heart and muscles. Research has it that those who are prone to migraines have a low level of magnesium than others.
- Go get a nice massage! This will provide the ultimate relaxation for you and your body! Chances are, you’ll forget you ever had a migraine to begin with.
- Yoga is also very helpful in terms of treating migraines! According to research, people who practiced yoga, took medication and undertook other relaxing techniques reported significantly less migraine pains!