Yoga gives a lot of importance to diet. After all, A Yogic Diet is one of the ‘Five Principles of Yoga’. And you have plenty to gain by following such a diet – even if you don’t practice Yoga!
Eat Sattvic Foods – Vegetarian!
The Yoga Diet encourages the consumption of vegetarian foods. This is known as a ‘Sattvic diet’ in Yogic terminology. Such a diet is believed to deliver peace of mind and multiple health benefits to the body. Even if you are not willing to go completely vegetarian, you should incorporate these foods into your diet.
Types of Sattvic Foods
- Cereal Grains
- Nuts – Not overly salted or sweetened nuts.
- Unpasteurized and Unhomogenized milk
- Milk derivatives: Ghee, Butter, Cream, Cheese, and Yogurt),
- Natural sugars: Jaggery, Honey, Maple Syrup and Molasses
- Herbal Tea’s
Advantages of Sattvic Diet
- It results in weight loss/maintenance of body figure.
- Body receives full nourishment. You will feel healthy, light and happy.
- It keeps depression at bay.
- Improves skin & hair.
- Protects the body from diseases.
- Purifies the mind - allowing it to work to its full potential
Avoid Rajasic Foods
Such foods are neither beneficial nor harmful to our health, body and/ or mind. However, they do negatively affect our mood and outlook on life. They are believed to lead to aggressive behavior and pessimistic thinking.
Types of Rajasic Foods
- Cola drinks
- Hot spices
Avoid Tamasic Foods
These foods are believed to be unnecessarily heavy and harmful to your health, body and/or mind. Foods that come under this category can be good for health provided they are eaten in moderation only. If they are abundantly consumed, harmful effects will be experienced such as; absent-mindedness, perpetual sleepiness and depression.
Types of Tamasic Foods
- Opium, Tobacco
- Stale food