About Dolphin Plank Pose
The dolphin plank pose yoga asana is classified as a core strengthening, arm balance posture. Its main areas of focus includes the upper back and core muscles of the body. Not only will your abdominal muscles get a solid workout, but your back muscles, upper body and leg muscles will also be thoroughly engaged. Prepare your body for the dolphin plank pose yoga asana by practicing a few simple exercises such as lunges and squats to adequately warm-up the muscles for the intense dolphin yoga pose sequence. These warm-up exercises will ensure that you do not suffer from any injuries while performing the dolphin plank pose yoga sequence.
Step By Step Instructions
Follow these step-by-step guidelines to perform the dolphin yoga pose sequence!
- Position yourself in the Downward Facing Dog pose.
- Shift your body weight to the front so that the shoulders are positioned directly over the wrists.
- Gradually bring your forearms down on to the mat with the elbows pressed against the mat and your palms facing downwards.
- Position your heels directly over your toes, keep your legs straight, engage your abdominal muscles by pulling your stomach in, and look down at the mat between your hands.
- Maintain the dolphin plank pose yoga sequence for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute.
The dolphin yoga pose has several exceptional health benefits!
- Therapeutic for stress and mild depression.
- Stretches and strengthens the calves, legs, arms, shoulders, core, hamstrings and arches.
- Prevents osteoporosis.
- Calms and soothes the brain.
Things to Remember!
Individuals suffering from neck injuries or shoulder injuries should refrain from practicing the dolphin plank pose yoga asana without proper guidance from a qualified yoga teacher. Yoga props such as bolsters and yoga blocks can also be used while performing the dolphin pose to reduce the pressure on the neck and shoulders.comments powered by Disqus