About Bharadvaja’s Twist
The bharadvajasana is a gentle seated twist yoga pose which targets the spine and abdominal organs. This pose has a multitude of health benefits which will be discussed later. Beginner’s can perform the bharadvaja’s twist using a chair or a thick yoga blanket if they find it difficult.
Step by Step Instructions
- Spread your yoga mat on the floor. Sit down on it with your legs extended in front of you. Now shift your weight onto your right hip, bend our knees and bring your legs on to your left side. Your feet should rest outside your left hip, with your left ankle placed on the right arch.
- Take a deep breath, and lengthen your upper body by lifting yourself up.
- As you exhale, twist your torso to your right side. Try to keep your left buttock on the yoga mat.
- Now place your left hand under the right knee and place your right hand on the mat, positioning it next to your right buttock.
- You can intensify the twist by turning your head towards the right, or you can twist your torso in the other direction too.
- Maintain this posture for 30 seconds to one minute.
The Bharadvaja twist has numerous health benefits!
- It improves the functioning of the abdominal organs.
- Soothes the spine and alleviates lower back pain, sciatica and mild neck pain.
- Women in their second trimester of pregnancy can practice this pose to strengthen their lower back.
- Improves the body’s digestive functioning.
- Helps alleviate carpel tunnel syndrome.
Things to Remember!
Individuals suffering from headaches or hypertension should refrain from practicing this pose. Additionally, women should not attempt this pose during menstruation.